Primary Sport Premium
Are you a primary school seeking to make best use of the primary sport premium to improve the quality and breadth of your physical education (PE), physical activity and school sport provision? County Durham Sport may be able to help you to find the support you need.
The government is investing £150 million per year over three years to support PE and school sport in primary schools. This funding is ring-fenced for PE, physical activity and sport and is going direct to head teachers to spend on what is needed for their school. This might include:
- accessing professional development for primary school teachers
- employing specialist teachers and coaches
- providing training for teaching assistants, lunchtime supervisors and volunteers
- joining local support networks, such as school sport partnerships
- forging links with local sports partners
- paying for equipment, transport and access to facilities
The aim of the funding is to increase all primary school pupils’ enjoyment, engagement and achievement in and through PE, physical activity and sport – over the three years of funding and beyond. Schools will report on their work through their websites and through Ofsted.
Thanks to additional Lottery funding from Sport England, County Durham Sport can help primary schools to find the support they want. This could include:
- supporting primary schools to identify what support they would benefit from
- communicating and promoting the offers available from local partners
- signposting schools to offers that meet their needs
- supporting schools to develop relationships with National Governing Bodies (NGBs)
- supporting investment in high quality coaching
Schools are not obliged to take up this offer but by working in partnership with other networks and
providers, County Durham Sport can help primary schools to find appropriate local support to develop their school sport offer, and add value to existing provision.
Over the next few months, County Durham Sport will be working with primary schools both directly and through existing networks to ensure that all schools have access to resources to help them maximise their use of the primary sport premium.
For further information please contact:
Lynne Wightman - Development Manager
Tel: 07970 539 467